Just finished reading Kessler's book on the Secret Service and their takes on different Presidents. Here is my nutshell Cliff's Notes.
1. Kennedy- Nice guy, serial womanizer.
2. Johnson- Unstable, mean guy. Huge "Johnson"; not afraid to expose it. Serial womanizer (wtf?).
3. Nixon- Weird. Pat Nixon, falling down drunkard.
4. Ford- Nice guy. Smart. Most unlike his public persona.
5. Carter- Reptile. Mean, small-minded, hypocrite. Tried to do the "for the people" thing on camera, then turned when camera was off. Amy Carter was the worst brat in the White House. Miss Lillian, Jimmah's mama, was nice, and would sneak treats to the Secret Service agents and say "don't tell Jimmah I did this!".
6. Reagan- One of the nicest guys in the White House. Treated S.S. well. Nancy, not so much. She didn't like him hanging with the Proles. Thought he was too naive and trusting in the goodness of human nature and saw her job to protect him from that weakness.
7. H.W. Bush (I)- A true gentlemen, and, with his wife Barb, one of the most thoughtful Presidents. Used to have Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at the White House and fly home the day after so his S.S. contingent could spend Christmas with their families. If Barb felt someone had crossed them, though, then you were in the cold zone.
8. Clinton- A child. Loved people, irresponsible with time and people (ie the haircut incident at LA airport where he shut down LAX for a couple of hours while he had Christoph cut his hair. Later blamed staff, but was fully briefed long before on Airforce I protocols. Hillary- Angry and sarcastic. Amazingly tough on staff. One way in front of cameras, a banshee when the lens was off of her. Gore-a privileged Brat. Tipper, though, was liked and warm.
9. W. Bush (II)- His dad's son. Well liked and considerate. Looked a fool in front of the camera, but was funny and articulate away from it. Laura was probably the most liked human being in the White House in modern times. Karl Rove and Andy Card come across well as well.
10. Obama- Both he and his wife are kind and considerate to the agents. He is professional in a way Clinton never was. Michelle insists on staff and S.S. address her as "Michelle". Kids are nice. Biden is considered a very likable moron. Likes to be liked, is considered untrustworthy for leaking the existence of a heretofore secret bunker under the V.P.'s residence to the front table at the Gridiron Club banquet, a breach that would have resulted in criminal prosecution of a lesser mortal.
Lastly, the Service is woefully underfunded and undertrained today. Like everyone, needs more money.
There you go.